Monday, October 1, 2012

Hollywood Cemeteries



TRAVEL BY NIC…….The Perpetual Tourist!

It's finally here...TravelByNic's first travel blog! I hope you enjoy and I would appreciate any comments or feedback! I would like to make this an interactive blog with any subjects that I post.
I wanted to make my first blog October/Halloween appropriate. Can't get any more apporopriate than cemeteries for Halloween!
Cemeteries……or at Halloween I’d call them….Graveyards!!
Only in LA can you find free entertainment in the cemeteries looking for stars of days gone by!  I have visited 2.  Forever Hollywood / 6000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA,  It’s right off of Santa Monica Blvd and it’s a huge cemetery.  Besides being chucked full of famous names, the sheer size of some of the graves will have your head spinning!  For example, I can’t help but think Mr. DeMille’s  plot costs more than my house!  When you find Mel Blanc’s grave (the man that voiced Bugs Bunny) you’ll read “That’s All folks” on his tombstone.  There is one stone that looks like a rocket ship!  The flower shop / office at the front of the cemetery will sell you maps that point out where to find your favorite celebrities. 

Besides looking for the famous graves. I loved admiring the graves from different cultures that I never experienced back in Kansas!  It is a beautiful place to enjoy, but remember to be respectful, this is a place where even though we may be in awe of the people we find entombed, it’s also a place that people come to mourn.

  

Westwood Memorial Park / 1218 Glendon Ave, Westwood, CA …..IF you can find this tiny little cemetery it’s a gem!  It is off of Wilshire, surrounded by tall buildings, the road that leads to the cemetery actually looks like your heading into a parking garage!  BUT if you can find it you’ll get to pay your respects to Marilyn Monroe, Farrah Fawcett, Natalie Wood, Don Knotts, Fanny Brice (Anyone remember Funny Girl), Dean Martin and soooo many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment