Sunday, October 7, 2012

LA Live!

Ok, so reallllly we had to get my daughter to the Justin Bieber concert at the Staples Center, but I of course turned this into a "Perpetual Tourist" event!

Since my husband was already in the city, we took Amtrak from the Irvine Station to Union Station.  About a 1 hour ride that is much more relaxing then driving into the Los Angeles at 4pm if you know what I mean?!  Once there we ran across the street and had a taco on Olivera Street.  (The oldest street in LA!  More about that later!)  Then we drove over to Staples Center.  The only advice I have for you....Patience and lots of one way streets.  I know you can find cheaper parking but we were in an actual LA Live lot that was $15, VERY WELL lit and ok public bathrooms.

Once we took care of Bieber Fever, we got to explore. I was surprised at how everything is right there!  LA Convention Center is right beside the Staples Center with the Nokia Theater directly across the street.  The rest of the Nokia Theater's block is LA Live and is full of great dining options.  It is very alive and hopping into the night.  I loved how bright everything is, the digital screens all over are awesome.  Don't get me wrong.....nothing can duplicate Times Square, but something about the lighting reminded me of Times Square.  If you've been there, do you know what I mean?!  So while we were waiting for the concert to end we ate at the Yard House out on the patio,( all of the restaurants seem to have patios, it's a great place to watch all of the action.)  Anywayyyyyy, back to the Yard House,  I totally recommend the salted butterscotch pudding with crumbled cookies and whipped cream topping!  Wow!  So good but so rich, was only able to eat half!




We did walk down Figueroa. 1 block down you will find the very charming Figueroa Hotel.  I just walked into the lobby but I've added some photos so you can see the character of the place.  The hotel was built in 1925 and was originally a YWCA if you have a chance to check it out on their website you will find a beautiful little hotel with a Moroccan feel.

                                                         
 


Go one more block down and you will come to The Pantry.  A famous place that has been open since 1924 and has never been closed! It's open 24 hours a day and YES!  It does serve good food with generous portions.  Just a "heads up....."  they only take cash, no credit cards or checks. Again, one of those famous landmarks that it's fun to say I've experienced!

Oh, by-the-way.....according to Annie the Bieber Concert was "amazingly spectacular wonderous and Bieberlicious."

No comments:

Post a Comment