Monday, October 29, 2012

Riley Farms


Travelbynic@yahoo.com........The Perpetual Tourist!
 
Riley Farms / 12261 S. Oak Glen Rd, Oak Glen, CA

OK, I gotta admit, I’ve only been to Riley Farms in the Fall!  Again, since I’m from Kansas I soooo miss the feel of Autumn.  I love to head up there and go hunting for pumpkins!  Seriously, check out their website!  If you aren’t picking out a pumpkin, you can pick apples, you can experience civil war reenactments, enjoy entertaining evening shows that engage you.  Take your camera for all of those fun Fall photos.  They have 2 restaurants,  Hawks Head which takes you to Colonial times with a British feel.  Or the Old Packing Shed will offer you a more rustic feel to your meal.

Originally I heard about Riley Farms while working at a tour company that specialized in student travel.  When we had schools that couldn’t afford to travel to the Williamsburg or Jamestown, this was a local alternative.  I watched as they engaged the kids in candle making, tom-a-hawk throwing, archery and several other activities.  Around every corner you’ll see quaint little bridges & paths perfect for photos.


I have yet to experience one of their dinner shows, but it is on my bucket list!  You’ll notice that they have special dining events for any season.  The Old Packing Shed is buffet style with long picnic table to sit at.  They will post the entertainment that they provide for the evening depending on the holiday.  For example at Halloween it’s all about the Headless Horseman!  But they also have special events for Mothers Day, Fathers Day, St Patrick’s Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas.  Hawks Head, has a different feel.  During the dinner events, you will be served a plated meal by the maids, you’ll have a more intimate candlelight feel to the Holidays.  However…..both places are open during the day to dine at.  I’ve eaten at both and enjoy both very much.

My only warning…….Lots of bee’s!  They do have plenty of bee traps hanging up, but there is something about all of the fruit laying around on the ground that attacks them, and yes….I did get stung, but it was kinda my own fault….who wears flip flops to a pumpkin patch in the hills?!

So go!  Explore!  It’s free to wander around. (Oak Glen was about 1 ½ from our Orange County location)  Only if you want to pick, eat, or participate in the activities will you be charged.  But again, even the wandering around is beautiful!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment